Saturday, May 12, 2012

Crazy Freaking Things That Actually Exist (and That I Want For a Dinner Party)

So back when I was looking for information on how to discredit Star Wars' coolness I found some really neat things.  Actually these things are more than really neat, they are freaking crazy.  I had no idea that people made this junk. Now I don't know what I would do if I had these, but I really want them for a dinner party now.

Non-Newtonian Fluid
Skip to 1:40 to see the scientist swallowed alive

This stuff seems eerily biblical to me.  It is a liquid that turns solid with a significant amount of stress. The military says they want it for some sort of soggy Jell-O type armor. I would use it for a mote around my apartment complex.  No it wouldn't keep anyone out, but it would be super fun to run across every time I'm going somewhere. I know a mote doesn't really have anything to do with a dinner party, but I still want it for mine. 

Gallium
It looks like mercury but melts like M&Ms, and that is why I want it. Gallium melts at 86 degrees, I think. I have its information open in another tab, but I am too lazy to go reread it.  Anyways, in most climates it will not melt until you hold it.  I think that is neat because it is a metal. 

C'mon that is cool right?
I think it is used as a conductor of some kind.  I would probably like to mold it into silverware.  So that after my guest made it across my non-Newtonian mote (that is if they made it) they would seat themselves at the dining table expecting to eat only to find their utensils melt in their freaking hands.  Of course, I would be using plastic utensils for myself that way I can dispose of them and don't have too many dishes.


Miracle Berry
So there is this crazy freaking berry called the Miracle Berry.  The unique thing about this is that it has a chemical called miraculin. Not making this up, totally true. I think.  I haven't ever tried it, but after watching Youtube videos it appears to have a pretty profound effect on taste buds. 
Like psychedelics specifically for your tongue 
Supposedly after eating some of these Tabasco sauce taste like doughnut glaze.  So while my guest was flipping out about the utensils melting in their hand for no reason, I would be their just jugging straight Tabasco like everything is totally normal.

Ferrofluid


Then I would have this as the center piece on the table, but only if it came with the classical music. 

Aerogel
This stuff too.  I like it.
The table will be made out of this stuff.  

You probably think I got lazy at the end of this post.  Actually I am being distracted by a movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment