Thursday, May 3, 2012

3 Surprising Ways a Car Accident Will Actually Improve Your Life


For all those who don’t know, I have recently been in a car accident.  This was a bummer. Believe me, it was like total crap.  At least that is how I felt at first, but now, just one month later, I have started to see how crashing my car into a wall has actually benefited me. 

Now if you want to experience the same benefits for yourself you have to be in your own car accident.  You don’t necessarily have to be driving, but it helps if you are,  and most importantly you have to make sure that it is your car that is being wrecked.

1. Car Wrecks are Great for One’s Physique
My car was flipped upside down and hit by a semi-truck and I came crawling out of the burning rubble with a concussion and contusions across the left side of my face, now walking and riding my bike have become much larger parts of my life.  This has done wonders for my body.  I would upload pictures but… actually I wouldn’t.  Anyways…
Compliments of mercedrides.com.

Imagine instead of driving a few miles to work in your car, you ride your freaking bike to work.  Or maybe you jog because the accident was still sort of recent and you don’t have a bike just two weeks ago. 



2.Crashing Your Car is Great for Making Friends


Here is why.  You see, even though biking and walking everywhere is really a fun way to spend every stinking spare moment of your day, sometimes you still want to be in a nice air conditioned car. This results in hitchhiking, which inevitably leads to making new friends.   For example, I met this dude from Massachusetts-- Well, actually that’s a bad example because he actually biked here.  Yeah, from freaking all the way from Massachusetts on his bike.

But seriously, all my friends -- well, I think their my friends-- have taken to giving my lame anus a ride.  During this ride time we converse, and listen to music, and socialize, just like real friends do. 

It is particularly important to crash your own car if you want to experience the friendship yielding power of immobility.

3.A Life Threatening Accident, Turns Out, is Good for Peace of Mind 

Most the time after the accident you will be walking to work, school, or aimlessly.  During this meandering you have a lot of time to think of things like life, death, what is important, why you are here, how you survived, the anthropic principle, why no one else did, how to illustrate nucleosynthesis through exponential notation and how come you can’t really remember any part of the accident… oh yeah, the concussion.  You know, you just end up thinking about that junk that generally you don’t think about while listening to music in your car. 
Accidents work sort of like meditation. Except without the beach and the babe and the funny pose.  Actually it is called post-traumatic growth. It is sort of like post-traumatic stress disorder, but completely opposite. Basically, it stems from the philosophy that whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm, it may sound weird that car accidents can help improve our lives, but it's true that post-traumatic conditions can drive us toward a full transformation in how we understand our world. But when it comes down to it, I would rather undergo personality development sessions rather than take the risks of figuring in an accident, just to change myself. Anyway, I hope you get better as soon as possible.


    Alecia Longsworth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I commend you for looking at the bright side of things, Thomas. Still, I believe that accidents must be avoided at all times. If you find yourself in a car accident, you must practice your rights and responsibilities. Getting a legal expert to help you is one of your rights. And at the same time, you are responsible in reporting the accident to your insurance company and to the authorities.

    Nannie Leick

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess we can exempt this case from those situations we must experience to actually learn from. Seeing someone get involved in a car accident is a learning experience in itself. It makes us mindful of our life’s worth. Anyway, I still like how you made the experience a lighter one.

    -->Amy Baron

    ReplyDelete