Thursday, May 17, 2012

Hack Your Brain Become More Creative


Hey Friends,

If you made it here from my Facebook post you’re probably expecting to hear some personal story about my life.  Like maybe you want me to say something about how my heart feels like woodland critters playing with a slinky on a mountain last night at two in the morning, but I am not going to tell you that.

If you made it to my blog by some other route then I honestly don’t know what you are doing here.  No, don’t go. Stay and enjoy the post, you creeper.

Osama used creativity when folding the airplane

The reason I made this post is cause I want you, my friends, to be more creative.  Well, In reality I guess it would be nice if you were more creative, but honestly it isn’t like a major concern of mine.  I am just trying to be real.  I really do appreciate all your creativity, but if it didn't exist its not like it would be the end of the world for me. yaknow?  

There is an easy way to become more creative, according to Art Markman (Ph.D) who writes for psychology today (as if you care about sources).   All you have to do is improve your working memory.  Now I am not sure what constitutes working memory, but I imagine it is everything that is not long term memory.  Think back, can you remember the third sentence in this post without looking? If you can that is rad, and that probably means creativity comes really easy for you.  If you can't, well, you know, whatever the opposite of rad is, that's what you are.

Art goes on to say that a good way to improve your working memory is by developing a larger vocabulary. My word of the day is omphalos (OM-ful-luhs). It means central point, navel, and it is also a specific spot in some Greek temple thought to be the center of the earth. Example "The omphalos of his blog was confusing and convoluted, and it seemed to be uncomfortably contrived". I actually don't know if it works in that sort of context.  Another way you can improve your working memory is by developing better reading comprehension.  Practice paying close attention to what you read.

Don't worry if you are not creative because it is easy to develop... maybe. On the other hand, plenty of really great things that I love have no creative faculty at all. Like rocks aren't creative but we all love a good rock.

Anyway, (check this out).  This is just the first to come of actually helpful ways to improve your brain.  This one is more geared toward problem solving, but you got be creative for that.

1 comment:

  1. "Like maybe you want me to say something about how my heart feels like woodland critters playing with a slinky on a mountain last night at two in the morning, but I am not going to tell you that."

    ^^Probably favorite part.

    Good thing you had that invitation for the creepers. I guess me not having a facebook, puts me in that category. and i read them all. all of the posts. hilair.

    Though I would beg to differ. I think Einstein is smart but he didn't know that fish climb trees.

    and here's proof.

    The mangrove killifish (Rivulus marmoratus), found among the mangroves in Florida, Latin American and Caribbean, is a strange fish indeed.

    Mangrove killifish are able to alter their gills to be able to live out of the water. When the water around the mangroves dries up, these fish climb up into the trees and hide in logs until the water returns. Once it's safe, they change their gills back and venture back to the water.

    HAPPY FRIDAY

    ReplyDelete