Thursday, March 29, 2012

Adapting to Stockholm

Of course I like you, you're my captor.
I heard that when POWs are locked away they sometimes begin to feel compassion and emotional attachment toward their captors.  It is called Stockholm syndrome. This isn’t because of some creepy mind control, but it is actually a paradoxical psychological phenomenon. Sometimes people will even defend their captors and take “lack of abuse” as an act of kindness.  People do this as a natural way of adapting to their environment.

The reason people start to develop these emotions toward their captors is so that they can feel comfortable, or, at least, a little comfortable.  I think most of us would agree that many of the places we go, we do not feel comfortable.  For some people even posting silly blogs is uncomfortable enough.

But if POWs and little kids who have been abducted can start to feel comfortable, then I should be a freaking fizz headed bubbly bastard. I mean for crysakes, I am neither abducted nor a prisoner of war.  I just work and go to school, and still I get anxious.  Nothing I do should be considered stressful, I am hardly ever in any life-threatening situations, and I have so much money I can buy food almost every day. All I have to do is sit in a chair and type things, or, if I’m at school, write things.

I remember back when I was a kid I hated typing/ writing. Partly because spell check wasn’t readily available to me, so nothing I wrote every made any sense at all.  But as I have aged I have started liking it a little more.  There seems to be some sort of value in seeing your thoughts become fossilized in ink.  As soon as you record an idea it becomes eternal.  I think that is neat.

I think the whole point of this blog is that it is easy to adapt to uncomfortable situations.  Alls U gotta dew is get out and put yourself in somesorta situations you aint never been in affor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment